Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Gladiator mid point reflection

 At this point in my project I have finished both my modeling and my unwrapping of the model and at this point I reflect on the things I am the most proud of and the thing I would improve or do differently in hindsight.



The main success so far is the head as I wanted to make it as realistic as possible whilst keeping the cost down, to do this I focused main features and made them as accurate as I could and did not fuss on smaller details such as smile lines and super precise face shaping which would cost more tris. The tip of the nose I'm especially happy with as I tried to bare in mind the facial anatomy and it paid off here the most.


In hindsight I should have been more careful with leaving open edges within the model as i had a few which luckily didn't interfere with the unwrap ann I was able to use most for my benefit , for example the one on the forehead gave me the idea to put a seam in the same place as its just before the hairline so that if there was and marks caused by seam issues it could be forehead lines that often develop.


Another improvement would be the shaping of the calf muscle as it ended up looking quite angular which is okay but not ideal. To solve this I would add another vertical swift loop on the back of the leg.



The current model is a bit less muscular than what I was going to do originally but through the use of texture painting I will add more definition to the model to exaggerate the shapes which will give the impression of slightly bigger muscles. The props and clothing were pretty straight forward and I based the object off of historical research I had done into the types of armor and weapons that a murmillo would have used and then modeled based on reference images. I do think I could have added a bit more detail into the helmet as it does look a bit bland but I am hoping to fix that with textures further down the line.




No comments:

Post a Comment