Sunday, January 24, 2021

Week 17- Natural history museum


 To figure out what I wanted to do in a larger format for my final piece I did many studies of various things in the exhibits and some images of some specimens not in the 360 view areas such as their new exhibit “the wonder of nature” which also features some things from the harry potter franchise. My two favourite studies were the skull in the centre of page 1 and the ‘ Darwin's finch’ on page two, I decided to try and draw the finch as part of the larger piece as it would be more of a challenge with the texture of the feathers .


Final piece



I was really happy with the overall drawing of the bird as it ended up being pretty accurate to the specimen. I think making the left side a bit darker could improve the contrast and make it look more full formed overall, also the use of line could be more heavily used in the tail to define the ends and layers of the feathers coming together more. My favourite and most successful part was the detail in the head, specifically around the eyes as I wanted to have a focus on this part, and adding the detailed markings of the bird clearly and having more contrast did this. The texturing of the smaller and more fluffy feathers was really well done in the head area too and the continuation of this in the lighter areas of the body would make the texture clearer and more believable to a viewer.





















feedback edits



No comments:

Post a Comment