Thursday, November 19, 2020

half timber house research

 Before I start the shop front project I wanted to know what I was aiming. I looked into real half timber Tudor houses and saw there was quite a variety of builds. Some leaned more standardised and some looking more unstable in a way. For reference I focused on the buildings in the York shambles, a small street in York that has become known for its Tudor built shops which are normally packed with Harry potter fans as this is the street that Diagon ally was based off. I chose this place as its more authentic, most of the images I was finding of Tudor half timber houses and shops were well painted and had been kitted out for the 21st century person were as the shambles, well lets say the name is a good fit. Bar the pearly white windows the buildings are worn and all have a lean to them .



so based on what I saw here I wanted to keep three main things, aged plaster that has yellowed, brick or a half brick first level and the use of beams in a triangles shapes most likely in connection to the roof as these cross beams are for structural stability.



As for the shop front and the presentation of the props I was inspired by a tea and book shop I saw on a trip to York, this small shop had shelves outside on which they stacked books to buy and sample teas to try. They also made good use of  window space .

For my shop I want to incorporate this by also using outdoor displays and also creating a unqiue window on my main trim sheet that shows some pets, products and a peek into the interior space. I have decided it'd make most sense to have the creatures on the unqiue window only as then I can put more objects outsite such as delivery boxes and crates


No comments:

Post a Comment