Monday, January 11, 2021

Rosary

 I painted the pieces for the rosary separately as to be able to piece them together however I may chose later, there weren't many pieces to consider as I did not think it fit for the rough character I had in mind to carry this inventory to have a lavish and eccentric rosary, so I stuck to a simple design using only the main cross and beads that would be strung upon a rope necklace. The process of this painting is seen in the video below.





The painting of the cross was fairly simple and although that was my aim I do think the introduction of scuffs and dulled areas on the wood would make it look more well worn and realistic overall. The colour of the rosary was applied using a gradient map and I tried to make it look like a warm wood material, originally I would have chosen gold but that is an expensive metal which I do not believe would be befitting of the character.


The beads are non plastic micro beads and as they were such a small part I decided to keep the detail within to a minimum as it would not be seen if they were made smaller, it would also run the risk of making it obvious they were duplicates of the same drawing if distinct details were painted on them. Establishing their shape was the priority which I do believe was achieved well.


The rope was added to the cross and since it is nothing but a simple rope no further painting was needed and I moved to place the pieces upon it, basing my placement on references I saw online of rosaries from both today's age and from years well past. 


revision


Here I made the cross thicker since it looked way to thin in the first version and I also adjusted the angle of the cross since it was a bit off before.



No comments:

Post a Comment