Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Three point piece _tonal and colour

 Tonal


 
as I always do when painting full pieces, I started out by blocking out tones to get a rough interpretation of depth and tonal value in the scene. The majority of time was in the painting of the trees since the patterns were unique and I knew I wanted some sort of glow effect around the throne so the intensity of light on each tree would decrease the further out it was to show the fall off of the light. this meant I couldn't copy and paste each tree to reduce time. I think I could have put more detail into this stage in areas such as the stone flooring and the edge lighing on the back wall.


Colour


I used a mix of gradient maps and curves to map colour onto the tonal painting I had already done. I found the layering of different gradient maps created a better colour range within an object, this was most needed in the large stuffed creature coated in gold above the throne since gold has a strange colour palette I found that using blending layers and different gradient mapped layers built this up best.

               Lighting


I wanted to try and experiment with the lighting a bit by doing a small variety of lighting concepts that have different colour tones and contrast levels. I first tried using an overlay of green shadow to contrast the warm light which did set it nicely in the forest setting but wasnt dramatic enough of a judgement in the throne room story so I decided to move on. Next I tried warmer lighting, this I found added the regality of the atmosphere in the scene .


No comments:

Post a Comment