Tuesday, April 27, 2021

final evaluation

  Final piece




Evaluation


Intro


For this project i was asked to create a three point perspective piece, since the bief was quite open I played around with different ideas but settled on a scene of a goblin king in a throne room judging a traitor. I wanted to have more organic shapes to build the scene since i associate goblins as woodland fae so it would be more fitting .


 A success of this piece was most definitely the shadows and how they change as subjects get further away from the main light source. This is most notable example of this is the shadows of the guards as since they are lined up leading away from the lights. As they get further away the shadows cast are more stretched than the ones closest because of how the light affects them. 


That said I do think that the way the light played upon the stone floor could have been further detailed as it does seem a bit flatter than i would have liked, this could be improved through further use of edge highlighting to provide a contrast too the bricks and show how the light is hitting them, this contrast would lessen the further away from the light to show the fall of. 


Another good point about this piece was the balance between realistum and slight stylisation on the trees as i wanted to have the more stylised patterns of swirls and spirals in the tree as they make the scene look more grounded in a fantasy setting but i also added finer detail to add more realistic tree texture providing a nice inbetween, but i would possibly go back in and further define the smaller texture detail with some highlights if i were to carry on.


One more improvement would be to further define the texture of the hanging statue on the wall as i do think it is still unclear, I wanted it to be a gold painted taxerdermy so to imporve i could maybe add more of a painted texture and include imperfections such as paint drips and unblended paint strokes. This would especially help in the wing area were it has the least texture. 


A challenge I faced when painting this was that i was unsure of what lighting senario I wanted to use, so to resolvee this I did a series of different lgithing examples to explor which one I thought suited the theme best. I ended up chosing the one with the warm and more dramatic lighting since the red undertones complemented the royal setting of the piece and the dramatic lighting frame the scene as being a tense moment and helps show the power the king holds since all the light in the scene is surrding him where as the other characters fade into darkness more amplifying his authority within the situation



Final thoughts


Overall i was very happy with the outcome, three point perspective has always been a personal weakness in organic scenes since the lines are not as clear so this setting was a challenge for me to overcome and i think I was succesful, exteme perspective made the scene look more impressive and grand which was perfect for the concept I was going for. I think the most succesful part to me was the consideration of how light effects forms and how they cast a shadow as I mentioned earlier as it make the light look realstic and well thought out. However I definatly have improvements I would make to this piece, the biggest of which would be how the stone flooring was rendered wasnt up to the same standard as the rest of the scene in my opinion and working more into this would push the piece to look more realistic .

No comments:

Post a Comment