Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Looking back at my journey to today

 A year in review


Since the year has come to the end i would like to briefly talk about how i have improved and what i want to improve on going forward with my tradtional work.

At the beginning of the year looking back I was unsure of my use of one and struggled with lighting and how it effected each indiviual object. However now I feel that I have a much more solid understanding on how to portray light in a scene and how it can creat bounce light and its not just the surface directly facing the light source effected.


Another improvement was in my composition, I had a vague idea of composition rules at the beginning of the year but I did find that my awareness for the compostion of the scene I was setting up improved with each piece. 


A personal achievement for me was getting comfortable using colour as I used to hate using colour tradtionally since it always seemed to go wrong easliy in the past, my own work had only explored gouche and watercolour and I was still unsure with those mediums. The first task I used colour was for the National portrait gallery task which I used colour pecil for. I really wanted to jump in the deep end here and after I completed this task ,which I found to turn out succesfully , I decided that if colour was an option in the task brief I would use it. I wanted to get confortable using it since I was already used to tonal work and the best way to learn is to explore. Now I prefere using colour and I enjoy using it, espashally wet mediums as they feel very natural and are good for layering.


Going forward in my journey I would like to use more colour to make paintings for personal work, I would also like to explore new mediums such as oils which I have dabbled in but not fully tried. Learning new technqiues in mediums I already know is also an aim but perticullay techniques that are out off my comfort zone of gradually builing up layers of washes since it would force me to adapt and get comfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment