Monday, January 11, 2021

Garlic

 For the garlic I wanted to try a more painterly effect and this meant the process was more of one long step rather than a clear set of steps, therefore I have included a time lapse relay of my process from sketching the ideas to painting down below.



When sketching out the ideas I tried a few different ideas, garlic cloves sitting alone and multiple in a bunching. In the end I chose a sketch of a singular clove sitting alone as I liked the angle it was at as I found it looked more appeling and intresting since the stalk is pointed towards the viewer.I also thought that choosing a single clove to paint would not effect my choice later down the line if I found I wanted to have multiple as I would just be able to duplicate the one I had already done.


My painting process started by roughly putting down some colours and then progressed by refining and further rendering the image, all of which I did with a thick brush that had painterly bristles which also helped to get the almost streakiness of the garlic right. I think my main improvement for the painting of the piece would be to include more of the vein-like streaks that are often seen in the skin of a garlic clove. I also think that defining the bottom edges more and making them look more like the rounded edge they should be as it does fall a little flat in the final outcome. My favourite part of the piece is the stalk area where the different segments all meet and cause overlap, the brush work and colour use here I think is done really well and brings the segments together into one nicely. After finishing the painting I decided I wanted two cloves so I duplicated one and used a purple multiply layer on the furthest one to add a sense of depth and bring the front one further forward.


 Overall I am very happy with the outcome of this piece as I think it is a realistic depiction of garlic, though there are some improvements I would make as mentioned previously I do think the outcome is overall, successful.



No comments:

Post a Comment