Thursday, November 19, 2020

Main trim sheet


 The things I put on the main trim sheet were,

- normal beams

- a decorative beam

- A door

- Hindges

- A window

-A shopfrount window 

- Metal sampling




Normal beams

With the standard beams I went with a fairly simple wood pattern that had swirls that flowed to make it look more interesting than just plain wood. I think I would make the shadows a bit lighter and have a more purple undertone but overall the use of gradient maps made it easy for me to add a range of tones that blended well and created a nice final product. Another improvement would be to have more edge highlighting to make them look a little less flat as it defines the shape a bit more.


Decorative beams

I added this decorative beam to provide an alternative for the edges of the structure, I added small glyph of the small creatures I designed on the bean, entangled by the swirling patters that traced across the wood. I think it would have been an improvement if I lessened the amount of detail so its not as busy but I am still pleased with the outcome and, used sparingly, this will make a good addition to my model.


Door & Hinges

This door is pretty straight forward, I kept the depths of the cracks shallower as to have a change of the deeper ones on the beams and offsetting this would create a better balance overall in the finished model, but I still made sure to have depth in the separation of the metal and as the edges get further away.

The hinges were also simple but I would argue that they are maybe just a bit too simple and that a few scuffs on the edges would have helped to add more texture and this would also make them look like they are older, matching the wear and tear on the rest of the build as these shouldn't look as new as they do.


Window

These were based of ones I saw when doing my research into the different types of half timber Tudor buildings. It seemed common to have darker metal grids and glass that wasn't clear to look through. I kept the metal lattice pattern very simple like the ones below and I tried to add some rusting around them as it made it look aged and rougher which is what I was going for, this worked well and had the added benefit of putting some depth under the metal areas to they looked more like they were sitting on top than painted on.But to improve I think I would lean more into making the windows look even more rusted and I would also make the orange a bit paler as light is never that orange and it looks more like a fire is roaring inside the house that a quaint light.








Shopfront window

This one was to add more narrative to the building, as I previously explained in the blog post about my research for this project , I wanted to use this window to show products and pets in the shop window like you would get in a normal shop. This is also way to add more of a story to a piece through subtle details that give hints to a viewer so they can weave the story together. I think to improve I would try and make all the muntins (glazing bar or sash bar is a strip of wood or metal separating and holding panes of glass in a window. ) an equal size and make the main framework clearer. but currently I do think its makes a nice addition to have the small creatures in the window looking out, I think to improve I'd also include more of a background to the window as it seems to be strange without one.


Metal sample

I wanted to use this for the various metal parts around the model such as the chimney and the bracket for the sign prop to hang off. I kept it pretty generic and tried to make it look like a rougher metal but not too damaged.

Further details 

Once I had everything down I worked further into the windows to make them look less flat and give the illusion for depth behind the glass . I did this by changing the layer settings on the glasses original colour so it would show a painting behind but tint it a bit. This turned out pretty well and it also made it look like there is some rust residue around the metal crossings making it  look more aged. Also the glass in the window needs to seem a bit unclear to see through as older window panes are less pure and  clear. The larger shopfront window I made clearer as if they were to shell out on any windows to be clear it would be the one looking into the shop so the potential customer's can see in better.



No comments:

Post a Comment