Friday, October 30, 2020

Chest texturing



Quick design explaination

For my chest I wanted to go for a theme of pagan symbolism , the rams head that I tried to make look roughly painted on the front is symbolic of the god Cerberus who is a pagan deity and the symbols along the seams of the chest are representative of the four elements. This more mythical theme is what informed the shapes in the texture of the wood as the swirls and flow in the wood has a fantastical feel which complements the design.

Evaluation

The wood texture was hard for me to do as I kept making it too small and when I kept testing it on my model (which I did throughout so I didn't make a mistake and go to far to correct it ) it was hard to see and pixilated so I tried to make my brushstrokes bolder and thicker which worked . To save on time and avoid running into any more issues I only painted half of the back and then mirrored the pattern and flattend to make it one layer, this was then used for all the other areas of wood which kept the pattern consistent and saved a lot of time.

I think overall the texture of the wood worked best and had interesting pattern that helped give the chest a more fantsy feel although I could have tried more colour variations by laying over a secondary gradients so I could experiment more. I think I should have gone back in and added some texturing on the metal or add scuffs as I didnt want slashes in my chest because that would make it too beaten up and thats not what I wanted but a scuff here and there around the close or o the feet would have made it look more used as it would make sense that a chest would have more damage on the feet than the main area due to being moved around  


Development based on evaluation



No comments:

Post a Comment