Friday, October 30, 2020

3d Modelling reflection

My past experience with digital 3D

In the past I have worked with 3D to expand my range of creative abilities and I mainly used Blender and dabbled with Marmoset toolbox create an interactive turntable for my portfolio.

The main finished piece I made in blender was a low-poly wooden shack diorama as seen in the video above but I didn't know how to do UV unwraps or how to add textures to my model.But it was a good starting point.

The tables and chairs 


This was my first time using 3DS max and this was the main obstacle I had to overcome for this task, the modling I found fairly easy and understood what I had to do but what I struggled with was translating what I knew from Blender over o 3DS max , The main frustration being the difference in the shortcut keys which I had grown use to when using Blender. 




The dagger task


This task was easier as I grew used to the software and I decided to try my hand at unwrapping and although it looked complicated I found that once I knew what to do it was relaxing almost as it was like a puzzle . If I  were to go back and do this again Id customise the dagger a bit to have a more interesting design and push myself a bit more.








The chest modeling

I was quite confident when modelling the chest as I was now comfortable with the software and was more familiar with different functions as I ended up just trying them out on a throwaway model to just see what they did so I could have a better idea of what I have at my disposal to use.

I am overall quite happy with the end result of the chest and I think if I were to improve it I would just add more smaller details such as a plaque on the front that could end up being a danger sign or something along those lines to make the chest seem more interesting.

UV unwrapping the chest was a challenge as it had multiple different part but I found it interesting trying to figure out where to put seams for it to unwrap properly and packing them all at the end, although I did mess up in some places such as the handles as to save on space I lay the two handles meshes on top of each other so that one texture would apply to the both of them but I didn't check on what way up I laid both meshes and didn't check whether they were both the right way round that I had to fix later on .


No comments:

Post a Comment