Wednesday, April 28, 2021

materials Final evaluation

page 1



page 2


 For this project I set up a concept of the inventory of a vampire hunter in the victorian time, this meant i tired to keep thing period accurate .


one thing I think went well was my use of texture brushes to build up effects throughout the project as it allowed me to experiment more with layering the effects they made to fine tune what I wanted much more efficiently, a good example of this is the flour on top of the bread roll which I used a mix of a cloud brush and a freckle effect brush to get a varying distribution of flour on the bread making it look more natural and non forced.

The main thing I wish I had done was look more into metals since its a weak point and it could have been more interesting to do more detailed metal items such as a locket or pocket watch, these would also add narrative which is what I really enjoy in projects is the world building aspect and telling stories through my work.


the biggest challenge for me was the blunderbuss gun since I am unsure of drawing both reflective metals and guns but I dont like shying away from something just because its unfamiliar to I pushed myself to look at different gun types and observe how the metal looked and try to recreate it, which I was very happy with the outcome. There is definitely improvements to be made such as making sure the perspective is right since I think mine ended up looking a bit off and also not being stingy with highlights in the metal and really show off the shine. but I think did well to observe the reference I saw and compile it into my own creation.


My favourite piece from this project was definatly the vamp away bullets since it was the most refined and well developed metal I painted during the project. The balance of shine and gritty-ness from the dirt made it really well rounded and suited well for the grim and rough setting of the story. in a close second was the eyeball based of personal triumph of recognising when its okay to start again even if it seems like a lot of work because it may just turn out much better. This eyeball was such a huge improvement from my first attempt and also showed my growth during the project since the original eyeball was painted near the start and the final eyeball was redone much later and the improvement in lighting and colour use is clear.

Overall I am very happy with this project and I think I both met the brief and grew as an artist through my journey with this project by challenging myself and pushing to try and do better whenever I could. the main improvement I would take from this project which branched across a few of the materials is learning to take more time to push and refine the smaller details such as sharper highlights or thickness of line, these help to make pieces look more developed and accomplished in the final result and I missed this in a few pieces such as the tooth were the highlights were a bit duller than they should have been. 

I have also learnt that you need to have someone checking your work regularly as its very easy to get used to what your drawing and miss mistakes that are stunting the progress of your work, and even if theres no one around I found taking a 10 minute break and then look at it again with references next to it to compare can really help with learning to spot hiccups here and there.

No comments:

Post a Comment