Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Challenges on my journey and new intrests

Challenges 


Tris count crunching

When making the house I ended up making it quite expensive after all the modelling and since my tris limit was 8,000 I needed to find a way to reduce the count without taking anything away. After some research I found out about the Pro-optimiser modifier which reduces the tris count. When using it I made the mistake of looking at the tris count for the entire build not just the house so I ended up making it way below the limit which gave me some wiggle room to add more windows.  I was also able to use this function on the props so I didn't have to limit how many I had too much and it also allowed me to keep some of the more expensive assets.


Skewed mesh

This was particularity frustrating when I first encountered it as whenever I imported my 3ds model into the Unreal engine it was making the house and only the house have a right side tilt, but everything else was fine and I couldn't understand why. At first I went through the import settings to make sure things were all correct and I also tried to import using a FBX 2013 file as I found that others were having issues with the up to date export formats, but to no avail. After a hour of panicked googling and pure stubbornness to give in, I managed to find a 30 second YouTube video that showed how the mesh's bounding box can get distorted when modelling and it needed to be reset using the ' reset x-forms' button in 3ds max , this fixed the issue. From this I learnt to take a step back and consider what I my process may have cause an issue and is there a way to fix it easily.


New interests

whilst going through this project I was able to explore a lot more new things from trim sheets and the use of visual script (c++ for unreal). The most notable things that I've found I enjoy is the scene building I did right at the end, the tinkering with settings and making a fleshed out scene was really fun to do and I especially liked to tinker with the material settings and making particles. 

I also discovered a unexpected interest in the visual scripting behind unreal, I didn't end up incorporating any in the final product but at one point of the journey I was trying to figure out how to make a trigger box turn on a light so that when you walked near the door the light turned on and lit up the crack in the door. This interest I am now pursing and have been learning basic c++ coding via YouTube videos. Although its one of the harder programming languages to learn, much harder than the more straightforward python which I've had a go at before, it is the base for most games and heavy engines such as unreal as it is more robust and having knowledge of it is nothing but useful to me going forward.



No comments:

Post a Comment