Friday, December 11, 2020

Adding the details

 Once I had done the colouring of the scene I started to work on the little details that help to breath a bit of life into the piece. this includes particals, sun-rays and colour dodge for a glowing highlight effect.


So starting with using colour dodge, this is a great tool for giving a piece dramatic and glowy highlights and I personally really like the effect it can give a piece, however it is very easy to go too far. One minute your highlighting one spec of water and the next thing you know the entire lake looks radioactive. To avoid this I stuck to only using it on very specific areas which I knew it would work well on, I also zoomed out regularly to check that I wasn't overdoing it and getting carried away. I think the colour dodge really helped to bring out the highlights in the bushes and the water, it especially worked nicely in the water as it gave it a sparkling fantasy feel which was very nice. This was also enhanced by the use of particles which I placed around the base of the waterfalls to represent the drops of water being flung about by the force of colliding with the water below as normally with a waterfall you will have a misty cloud of water that has splashed back up .



I then went on to adjust the lighting to make it more dramatic and to do this I used overlayed washes of contrasting colours. This worked nicely but I do think it could have been improved if I had put more detail into how the lighting played upon the leaves in the tree as it could have added more depth which would improve the overall scene. I used a blue tone for the shadows as it complemented the green and blue tones already in the bottom level and contrasted the top tier were most of the sunlight was hitting .  I was perticually  happy with the way The shadow worked on the hedges as it it really helped to push the depth in the pushes that little bit further as it did fall a bit flat beforehand as the tones in the colouring were all the same which isnt accurate to what it like in real life.


No comments:

Post a Comment