Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Topology practice

 for this task I was asked to redo the topology of the human head, the key points of head topology is the sections around the eye, mouth and nose which are separate into different sections as illustrated below.

Around the eyes we have a circle section which is then surrounded by a mask shape, forming the brow bone. This together forms what I now refere to as the superhero mask. 

The nose and mouth is inclosed by the muzzle ring(light blue) this sits were the smile line would be. Inside is the area for the chewing and mouth muscles (red) and the tip of the nose.This technique may have a few slight variations but is overall consistent  throughout character modelling as seen 



My work
For my first attempt at face topology I think this went pretty well. I do think the segments could have been more evently proportioned as the sections on the top of the head are a bit uneven. I would also try and work on the ears more as the are a bit simple currently. I do like the work around the main areas as I managed to get the segments around these areas pretty even and well placed overall.


Modifying the mesh







Since Spartacus is Thracian, these were Indo-European people who inhabited large parts of Eastern and Southeastern Europe, so based on this I changed the model to look like a strong  eastern European. the main things I changed was the nose and the brow bone, I made these areas more pronounced as to create a more masculine shape.to the nose I added more definition to the tip of the nose and also added a bump as many of the references I looked at had this in common for people from eastern Europe I also made the neck thicker with a slight bump for the Adams apple.

I do think the ears could have used some more work as I think they are a bit clunky but this could also be resolved through texture sheets by adding the inner ear detail through textures rather than modelling which may make the model more expensive. This same concept of relying more on the painting than the modelling was carried throughout the process, meaning I mapped out only the essentials such as the key features and face shape, having them at a higher quality would be a better use of my budget than chunky low poly details that are hard to make out. It also gave me the freedom to play around with the details later, if I wanted a scar then I can paint one and try it and if it doesn't work then its not hours worth of remodelling to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment