Sunday, December 6, 2020

Shape langauge in design

 Shape language is very important to getting across a message in your design. They can help to frame a narrative in a scene or can be key to atmosphere in a painting. During the making of the cubeworld piece I checked my shape language and silohettes to make sure I was on the right track and the design was effective.


Silhouette



silhouettes need to be readable, this makes the work more recognisable as a unique object or in this case landscape to the viewer. A great example of this is the London skyline, this is a popluar thing to be put on tourism gifts as it is an instantly recognisable image because of the variety in the shapes making it so distinct . With my worlds silhouette I wanted the levels to be able to be seen and not obscure each other to much which I think I managed to achieve.



After that I blocked in the tones more so the levels were clearer to check how the outline of each section worked against or with each-other.Here I could see that the way the top section overlaid the bottom section was correct and was not blocking too much of the other areas which would make it too overpowering and would out weigh the others too much .



Shape language


Since the concept for this piece was the contrast of life and death I made sure the shapes contrast each other, in the graveyard area I used sharper and harsh shapes and elsewhere I used rounded and softer shapes such as in the rocks where I tried to round them off more and the dirt is also shaded to look soft and without any harsh lines. This juxtaposition of shapes complements each other and gives more to the narrative of the piece than using random shapes across the entire piece

In the section with the benches I tried to use a mix of both because that area is more of a equal stage between the two and has both signs of life and growth and harsher elements of death. The graveyard level’s underneath area is much rockier and has pointed edges which is very much purposeful , this contrasts the rounded soil of the other levels and is a framing part for the level so has a big effect on the feeling the entire section has, making it more sinister than its peaceful counterpart below



No comments:

Post a Comment