Friday, December 11, 2020

Reflections


The outcome of the cubeworld project is something I am quite happy with, the outcome matches the original concept I planned out, I also was able to experiment with layer effects and how the colour affected the way the scene felt overall.


One thing I think ended up working out really well was the way I used shape language in the scene to indicate the overall feeling of the area. The bottom sections that I had to represent life were full of soft and rounded shapes making it look more friendly and non imposing, on the other hand the higher level that I had to represent death has much sharper shapes which makes it seem more intimidating and cold. These contrasted each other and brought those impressions out more than if they were just stand alone pieces.


Something I think I’d go back and improve on is the lack of smaller props that could help to flesh out the scene more. This scene currently relies on larger features such as a large statue and grave but smaller details such as a unlit candle sat at the base of the statue or more smaller flowers to populate the edges of the river would have been a good way to further feed the narrative of the piece .


My favourite part of this piece was the way I painted the rocks and water as they turned out really well. The streaks in the painting of the waterfalls mimics the way that a waterfall looks like in real life where the translucency of the water causes an almost stripy pattern in the falling water. I tried to keep the rocks rather rounded and smooth and this came across well in the final image and I managed to achieve this whilst still giving it the features most rocks have such as divots and cracks to make the shape look more natural.


I think that overall the outcome of this project was successful and met not only the original brief but also the imagery I set out right at the start. There is always room ofr improvement such as the introduction of smaller contextual props to complement and add to the larger ones I already have in the scene .

No comments:

Post a Comment